by Laurie Aker and Scott Kaczorowski
It is difficult to give a point-by-point description of how to mortify or put to death the flesh, but here are some helpful guidelines:
• Entrust yourself to Christ. Ultimately, He is working in you, and you must trust Him, or you will be fighting the battle in your own strength.
• No longer identify with your old nature. “Put off your old self, which belongs to your former manner of life and is corrupt through deceitful desires” (Eph 4:22).
• Seek to please God and to “put on the new self, created after the likeness of God in true righteousness and holiness” (Eph. 4:24).
• Read the Word. This is the best way to begin thinking the way that God thinks (2 Tim. 3:16-17).
• Make a firm commitment to change sinful habits. Determine practical and concrete steps to move toward those changes.
• Confess your sins to fellow believers and ask them to hold you accountable (James 5:16).
• Pray for yourself and pray for one another (Jas. 5:16).
This blog post is an excerpt from the Thistlebend Discipleship Study Falling in Love Again with Your Lord available here.